Choosing a Reputable HVAC Technician for Furnace Maintenance
When on the hunt for a reputable technician, it all starts with research. Reliable, professional furnace contractors aren't always easy to come by. In fact, maybe you've been burned by someone already. Find someone you can trust, with the right credentials and experience, so you can rest easy knowing you made a wise choice. Here are some helpful tips for choosing a dependable HVAC technician that's local and convenient.
1. Ask for Recommendations and Referrals
Sure, you should always ask friends and family for word of mouth recommendations on furnace technicians they've used in the past, but you should also get on social media to find out more. Follow their Twitter accounts and "like" their pages on Facebook, gathering information, reading online reviews, and learning about deals. Head to online review sites like Yelp and read up on each contractor you consider. People just like you have experiences they want to share, and for better or worse, you can hear what they have to say.
2. Find out About Professional and Industry Organizations
Part of being a reliable, trustworthy professional means you're backed by trusted, well-known organizations within the HVAC industry. One thing you want to look for in terms of credentials is NATE certification. Also, take a look at the Better Business Bureau. What's their rating? Are they members of the major associations, such as the Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute, American Society of Heating, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers?
3. Call Around
You can't avoid good-old-fashioned cold calling when it comes to HVAC technicians. When you have a list down to about two to three contractors, call each company to learn a little bit more, especially when it comes to furnace maintenance and inspections. These are things that may go beyond what's found on their website, such as:
- Are your hours flexible and how easy are appointments to book?
- What is entailed in a furnace maintenance appointment?
- Can you provide me with a checklist of all services you cover in this check-up?
- Can you provide evidence of licensing and insurance?
- Do you back up your services and products with warranties?
- Do you give out free estimates?
- What special offers and rebates do you offer? Don't forget to ask for rebates on energy-efficient ENERGY STAR-qualified HVAC equipment to save a few bucks, advises Energy Star.
- Which furnace manufacturers do you tend to use and why do you like them?
- When I purchase a heating unit, does that price include routine maintenance and repairs?
- Do you have emergency hours?
4. While on the Job...
Once you've settled on a contractor, you still have to be extra diligent to ensure you're treated properly. Inquire if your HVAC technician has pulled any necessary building permits before beginning work in your home. This is usually required in larger jobs. In addition to this, ask if your contractor plans to do a professional load calculation before he or she installs the unit. Why? It's not unusual for homes to settle over time, causing your heating and cooling unit to perform improperly. Before your HVAC contractor leaves, be sure to set a recurring appointment for seasonal maintenance on your HVAC system. This is because regular maintenance is imperative to keep your unit working properly over the years. Booking an appointment now will save you time and hassle later.
Here at TDI Air, we take the guesswork out of finding a reputable HVAC contractor. Call us for a free estimate today and learn what sets us apart from the rest.